Harissa Spiced Chicken
- 2 cups of cous cous
- 1kg chicken diced
- 2 onions diced
- fresh parsley
- harissa spice
- 3 tins of 4 bean mix
- 1 tin of tomato puree
- 1/2 packet of currants
- 1 small packet of pine nuts
- 1 jar of taka tala
- Generously coat chicken with Harissa spice in a clear plastic bag and shake well.
- Fry onions with garlic. Remove from pan when done.
- Add chicken and cook over a medium heat. The harissa spice can burn the bottom of the pan so make sure you stir the chicken while cooking and add a little cooking oil.
- When the chicken is nearly done, add the entire contents of the taka tala and mix thoroughly. Add the onions back in.
- Drain the 3 tins of beans and add to the chicken mixture with the tomato puree. Reduce the heat to a simmer / medium.
- Prepare the 2 cups of cous cous. Generally 1 cup of cous cous to 1 cup of boiling water, and allow the cous cous to absorb the water over a period of approximately 5 minutes. At the end of 5 minutes, fluff up the mixture and add to the chicken dish.
- Add the currants, pine nuts and chopped parsley and stir through. The dish is now ready to serve.
It may be difficult to come across the taka tala so you can experiment with a different type of sauce/marinade. In New Zealand one of the spicy apricot marinades should substitute well.